Sunday, September 13, 2009

Marvel - ONLY STRANGER RAPE IS REAL RAPE

Was it really only last night I told Kirk of Box In The Box that I'd have to stop reading him because OMG WTF VOMIT! Seems to happen anytime he mentions Marvel and Spiderman.

And tonight, I start checking my feeds, of which his journal is included automatically and boom tacka boom Marvel + Rape Culture = A OK!

So now DISNEY + MARVEL + RAPE CULTURE = A OK.

Don't believe me? Kirk has the scoop of Marvel writer, Frank La Vente saying:


My understanding of the definition of rape is that it requires force or the threat of force, so no. Using deception to trick someone into granting consent isn't quite the same thing.

Which is not to say it isn't a horrible, evil, reprehensible thing that Chameleon did. He is a bad man.

He insults paraplegics and dips people in acid too.


...


I'm too disgusted to list examples of what, apparently, this writer, this human being walking about interacting with real live human women, apparently doesn't see as rape.

Marvel = Rape Culture. It is succinct and explains much.

Apparently I'll only enjoy the Marvel Universe again when everyone currently working there drops dead. It seems this is not the superhero comics production generation that can learn and grow, mature and change.

And if there is such casual oppression and disregard for fifty percent of the population, then it seems I've been crazy to believe Marvel could do better on issues of race.

Regarding the victim in that plotline being a woman of colour by the way? All I can say is Sara Baartman.