Monday, September 22, 2008

Marvel Doesn't Care About Gay People

Just Like George W. Bush Doesn't Care About Black People



I have been quiet recently because I'm trying to get control of my blood pressure. It's been doing somewhat scary things and my doctors and I need to figure out if it's additional stress, my body just being in a state of disrepair or if something else is going on chemically.

Right now I'm feeling like it's a serious combination of factors. Because WHAT THE FUCK, MARVEL?!!!!.

Guggenheim said a lot of people who aren't reading Spider-Man or refuse to read Spider-Man are judging it based on misunderstandings. "Part of the problem with the controversy behind One More Day is the understanding of what was retconned overstates the extent of what was done," he said. "Everything that happened in the last twenty plus years of comic book history happened! The only difference is that Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson weren't married. They still dated. They still lived together. They still love each other. They just weren't married. Judging from the letters and death threats we received, I think some people were confused. It all still happened."

"Here's my attitude, if anyone is upset about the marriage going away, then they must all be pro gay marriage," he continued. Because if you're pro gay marriage, you understand the distinction between a marriage and a civil union -- that a civil union is not equal to a marriage. We downgraded Mary Jane and Peter to a civil union. If that bothers you, then you're pro gay marriage."


For the record you know I have this shit screencapped.

I think I now understand why Marvel's Civil War resulted in a fascist Tony Stark, a dead Captain America, a mob brutalized Tigra and Misty Knight getting skin lightening. Marvel's become the FOX NEWS of Comics; pro Republican, Pro American Family Association, pro - White Privilege, anti-gays, anti-blacks and obviously anti-women.

FUCK YOU MARVBL


That whole last paragraph, what the fuck is that? WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT?! I'd almost think they were trying to say something positive about marriage vs civil unions except that 'IF IT BOTHERS YOU, THEN'....

No. No I refuse to attempt to not hate these people. It's not going to happen.

"Hi, we're Marvel. We used A DEAL WITH THE DEVIL to DOWNGRADE A HETEROSEXUAL MARRIAGE into a MERE CIVIL UNION, Y'KNOW THAT THING THE QUEERS GET."

FUCK.

YOU.

MARVEL.

More outrage via LurkerWithout and Kirk of Box In The Box.

PS: Marvel? You really need to teach your people some PR so to spin your bullshit better, because YOUR ASS IS SHOWING AND YOU NEED TO WIPE!

6 comments:

  1. Another look on what he's saying is that offering civil unions as opposed to marriages to gay people is a bad thing, and Marvel doing the equivalent of downgrading Peter and MJ from married to not married is a similar situation. If anything, he's using the spider-marriage to make a point about the opposition against gay marriage, rather than the other way around.

    He makes it a point to say that civil unions are not equal and that people who are pro gay marriage "understand the distinction between marriage and civil union," which to me seems to say exactly what his opinions on gay marriages are-- they are a good thing and he is for them.

    The only thing I can fault him for is not phrasing it better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its Marvel. I think we can safely never expect much better...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @brothers: Dudes a lawyer and pro-writer. Phrasing things so people can understand them is kind of his job...

    ReplyDelete
  4. All:

    Even my father emailed me about this post. He was a bit 'Whoa' at the cursing. Honestly I just don't give a damn.

    I think people missed the essential point in my post.

    No I refuse to attempt to not hate these people. It's not going to happen.

    I'm tired of double mumble talk and bullshit from Marvel on a whole bunch of issues. Bringing equal marriage into fucking Brand New Day rebuttals and phrasing it as if expecting the audience to be homophobic is just the last fucking straw.

    This man brought something personal and poignant and important into a comic imbroglio involving deals with the devil and reality warping. After all I've heard about 'Defense of Marriage' and 'Only Satan Loves Homosexuals' It's ENOUGH!

    These are the people Marvel allows to speak for it and promote it. And I'm done trying to wrap my brain around their [ insert bad word bad word multiple bad blue words here ]

    Marvel doesn't care about Gay People. Or Black people or Women. And it also doesn't seem to care about White Men Who Might Give A Damn - it just wants their money.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One flaw with Guggenheim's "logic": If we play out his line of reasoning, then he and his fellow writers, and Quesada in particular by extension, must think so badly of gay marriage that even HAVING THEIR FLAGSHIP CHARACTER MAKE A DEAL WITH THE PRINCE OF F**KING DARKNESS is worth downgrading the marriage in favor of "civil union" status. Plus, the Spider-writers have CHOSEN to continue the "civil union" downgrade.

    And I actually LIKED "Eli Stone", too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was directed to this post from a friend. I think you are misreading this argument. A quick read over his comment might be read as:
    1) Getting upset about BND/OMD is stupid.
    2) If you're so stupid to get upset, then you must be stupid enough to support gay marriage,
    3) because only stupid people would support gay marriage.

    Actually, I believe he's making a pro-gay marriage stance. I think his argument is:
    1) If you're upset about OMD/BND, you realize that there is a difference between a marriage and a civil union.
    2) If you recognize that a civil union is a downgrade from a marriage to these fictional characters, imagine how people feel when they are prohibited from marriage and forced to accept a civil union.
    3) Therefore, if you're upset by OMD, you are inherently pro-gay marriage (and maybe didn't realize it).

    ReplyDelete