Friday, March 16, 2007

WTF Paul de Fillipo?

When I saw tentative reviews of Top Ten: Beyond The Furthest Precinct, I believed them. They said it was bad, so I decided to borrow it from the library rather than buy it.

What they couldn't say is just how bad it is. I'm half-way through and I can't believe it myself. There are new characters that don't seem to make any sense (Why can technology build a body for a dog, but not an exo-suit for a mermaid?). And the plot seems like some ham-fisted commentary on the post 9/11 world of constant yellow alerts and inept leadership in important government positions.

Worse the feel of the universe is gone. I don't get the feeling the new writer knows fig or hair of the characters. He seems to throw in a few phrases and that's it. Worse the art contains odd visual references I don't remember seeing in the original. There's stuff from Monster's Inc and Antz, Popeye. There are background character aliens from Star Wars and characters I only know from Adult Swim. There's mention of Wile. E Coyote.
There's also the jive talking blackbird (jaybird) that Disney used to have in place of black people. And I really don't want to get into that racist stereotype and wtf it's doing in something copyrighted 2006.

And then there are regular people Neopolis citizens living in a place called Yggdrasil Apartments. I've seen the Nordic Gods in the Top 10 universe. If someone was going to live in a World Tree, why isn't it Gods? Why is it 'Squirrel Rocket J' ?

And Scooby freaking Doo?

I'm going to finish reading it. I realize that perhaps I should have read Top Ten: Vol 2 first. And perhaps also The 49'ers. But I think my disappointment would only be more keenly felt. Cause wtf?

Herbie the Love Bug, Spiderman up in a corner (Cause I don't think Daredevil has blue booties), old fisherman's tales and empty empty dialogue and plot.

I'm going to finish reading it. Maybe it gets some little bit better or I'll see something more than, well 'Marvel's Civil War' mess in the plot. Though I doubt anything could get better after introducing the Mayor as a red assed Baboon. I kid you not.

No comments: