Thursday, August 13, 2009

Vocabulary

If you're the person who broke down via dictionary definitions the term Reverse Discrimination, or if you know of the person or remember the site that has it, could you please comment and link it to me? I'd appreciate it.

That said:

Someone broke down reverse discrimination and it made me think.

Reverse:

  • 1. opposite or contrary in position, direction, order, or character: an impression reverse to what was intended; in reverse sequence.


  • 3. pertaining to or producing movement in a mechanism opposite to that made under ordinary running conditions: a reverse gear; a reverse turbine.


  • 4. acting in a manner opposite or contrary to that which is usual, as an appliance or apparatus.


  • 10. an adverse change of fortune; a misfortune, check, or defeat: to meet with an unexpected reverse.


  • 17. to turn inside out or upside down.


I've kept the numbering because I didn't even go flip through an actual dead tree dictionary. I went to dictionary.com. Hopefully, some of you are now having illuminating moments. I know I certainly did when I read the original post. That post wondered why it was called reverse discrimination. And wow, doesn't the dictionary definition make it plain.

Of course my strong emphasis (usually seen as bold) likely helps the illumination along. But I needed that bolding there for me. I need the visual to come to mind, strongly, for every time someone brings up how there is no racism, but somehow, there is reverse racism, reverse discrimination. Somehow, despite there being NO RACISM. NONE.

It is a reverse of fortunes that is happening to whites. It is the world going inside out or upside down, on whites. It is the system moving OPPOSITE TO THE WAY IN WHICH IT WAS INTENDED and thus, trodding on whites.

Racism didn't leave, die or disappear. It just picked up a dictionary. It went to college and got a BA in BS.

The original post blew my mind (which is why I want to find it again and link it - I'm pretty sure it's someone I read regularly too. But everyone I think it is, it hasn't been)

But like I said - blew my mind. There's a reason they won't use the term 'bigotry'. There's a reason they won't say it was plain old discrimination. Nuh uh. It was reverse discrimination - things done gone backwards to the way the world's supposed to be and a white (man) is finding himself on the bottom! It ain't right!

From now on, whenever I encounter someone spewing that nonsense, I'm going to tell them find a dictionary and look up the word reverse. Then I'll wait and see if they have two brain cells to rub together.

If they do, maybe then we can have a conversation about (white) privilege.

2 comments:

  1. Then I'll wait and see if they have two brain cells to rub together.

    Naw, because if they did, they'd look at this world run by people of color and their poor daughters running home crying asking if they can get some darkening cream and how they can't talk back to black cops and...

    Yeah. Two brain cell people can't even get their mouths to form the words reverse discrimination.

    ReplyDelete